The thread of history

The current villa stands on the ruins of the castle of the same name. Built as a stronghold in the fratricidal wars between the Florentine Republic and the Sienese Republic that ended in the sixteenth century, the Aeola castle underwent a radical transformation. The original appearance characterized by walls, drawbridge, secret passages underground, in the Renaissance has gradually transformed into an elegant manor house, while maintaining traces of the original appearance.

  • 1397 – 1402

    First Mentions

    In documents of the late fourteenth century Aiola is mentioned as a fortress, castle or palace of Layola, Ajola or Ajole in the context of the supply of gunpowder and weapons

  • 15th Century

    Bellanti Family

    Towards the end of the fifteenth century, but perhaps already long before, the castle belongs to the noble family of Bellanti

  • 1554

    The resistance

    Capitulation at the end of a very strong resistance in the War of Siena to the Florentine militia by the small garrison and the villagers. During the battle died Giovanni Battista Belluzzi, known as “San Marino”, a well-known military engineer and builder of numerous Medici fortresses. The Marquis of Marignano hangs the captain of the fortress and some soldiers after the surrender.

  • 17th Century

    Summer residence, agricultural manor

    Construction of a manor house as a summer residence on the ruins of the castle

  • 1692

    Tax documents

    First mention of the dell’Aiola farm in the tax records of the Collette Officers

  • 18th Century

    Romagnoli drawing

    At the end of the 18th century, Ettore Romagnoli wrote a book about Siena and its environs. There is an image of Aiola.

  • 1911-1916

    Earthquake and reconstruction

    An earthquake collapses most of the villa: they remain a plan of three and 10 rooms of the pre-existing 39. A new owner, Devoto Cavaliere Erasmo, was Antonio rebuilds 2 floors and 16 rooms in 1913-1916.

  • 1937

    Senator Giovanni Malagodi

    From the 7th of September, 1937 becomes property of Senator Giovanni Malagodi. In the Sixties the Senator created the label we know today, thus passing on a centuries-old tradition.

  • 2012

    New ownership

    In 2012, the property passed to some Russian entrepreneurs who immediately began an important program of replanting new vineyards and restructuring the winery.

 

 


AiolaClubSpeciale per te

Promozioni, informazioni di prima mano e contenuti speciali per te: tutto questo e molto altro ti aspetta nel AiolaClub.

Iscriviti gratuitamente qui!