The thread of History
The current villa stands on the ruins of the castle of the same name. The castle was built as a stronghold in the fratricidal wars between the Florentine and Sienese Republics that ended in the sixteenth century. Since then, the Aiola castle has undergone a radical transformation. The original appearance was characterized by walls, a drawbridge, and secret, underground passages. During the Renaissance it was gradually transformed into an elegant manor house, while maintaining traces of the original appearance.
1397 – 1402: first mentions
In documents of the late fourteenth century Aiola is mentioned as a fortress, castle or palace of Layola, Ajola or Ajole in the context of the supply of gunpowder and weapons.
XV secolo: Bellanti family
Towards the end of the fifteenth century, but perhaps already long before, the castle belonged to the noble family of Bellanti.
1554: the resistance
Defended by a small garrison and the villagers in the War of Siena, the castle capitulated the Florentine militia after putting up a very strong resistance. Giovanni Battista Belluzzi, known as “San Marino,” died in the battle. Belluzzi was a well-known military engineer and builder of numerous Medici fortresses. The Marquis of Marignano hanged the captain of the fortress and some soldiers after the surrender.
XVII Century: summer residence, agricultural manor
Construction of a manor house as a summer residence on the ruins of the castle.
1692: tax documents
First mention of the Aiola farm in the tax records of the Collette Officers.
XVIII century: Romagnoli drawing
At the end of the 18th century, Ettore Romagnoli wrote a book about Siena and its environs. There is an image of Aiola.
1911-1916: earthquake and reconstruction
An earthquake destroys most of the villa: of the original 39 rooms, there remain only a plan of three floors and 10 rooms. A new owner, Devoto Cavaliere Erasmo, was Antonio, rebuilds two floors and 16 rooms.
1937: Giovanni Malagodi Senator
On the 7th of September, 1937 the villa becomes the property of Senator Giovanni Malagodi. In the Sixties the Senator created the label we know today, thus passing on a centuries-old tradition.
2012: new ownership
In 2012, the property passes to Russian entrepreneurs who immediately begin an important program of replanting new vineyards and restructuring the winery.